Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Workshop

Interesting day yesterday, on several levels. The fuel pump on my truck decided to die, which after 185,000 miles, I suppose it's entitled to. It's the sort of thing I wouldn't have any problems replacing it myself, BUT, on Monday I had a work accident, and lost about 1/4" off my right index finger. While the Oxy-Cocaine the hand surgeon gave me helps, I'm really in no condition to be removing the gas tank from my vehicle.

Additionally, yesterday was the last nice day conducive to driveway mechanics before the rains begin, which are now expected to culminate in 5-10" of snow by Saturday PM.

Remember when fuel pumps looked like this

and cost maybe $10? OK that's a filter, not a pump, but the resemblance is close enough. Actually, the one I installed in my Triumph is smaller than that.

Well now they bear a close resemblance to something the Air Force might use to guide a long range missile

And cost over $200. I suppose it's the price you pay for being able to launch things around the world with pinpoint accuracy.

Huge thanks to my friend Bob, who did the work for me while I did drugs, and got the whole thing finished in about half a day.

On a related note, the silver lining to the cloud is that I will be saving some bucks on ammo for the next couple or three weeks. Shooting left-handed will be much slower.

1 comment:

jed said...

Ouch. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I'll have to tell you sometime about why I'm missing the nail on my left index finger.