When I rebuilt my Glock after blowing it up, my original plan was to take it up to the range as soon as I got done with the Dentist. This plan didn't include breaking my wrist. It's now been about 4 weeks and the doc says I have 3 more weeks in the cast to go. Impatience won though and I tried out the new parts today. Here's what I learned:
1. Pulling the slide back with a left hand in a cast is very difficult.
2. I used to be able to shoot strong hand only passibly well. Now it seems I need some more practice. Shooting 2-handed borders on impossible, and weak hand, let's face it, isn't there.
3. The new barrel from Lone Wolf is very nice. It's also much fussier about the ammo I'm trying to feed it. I'm getting lots of failures to feed which I didn't get before. The cause I originally traced to insufficient final crimp, which seems to be back with the tighter barrel. I guess I get to re-crimp all my ammo.
4. I had been seeing some light strikes before, but much more now and noticeably off center so it looks like I need a new firing pin. I was beginning to suspect that problem before so I can't say I'm terribly surprised.
5. Trying to eject a lightly struck round from a tight-fitting barrel with a cast on your left hand is a waste of time. Change to an empty mag, use the rubber edge of the table against the side of the slide, and push. The stuck round pops right out.
6. Disassembling the gun with the fingers poking out of a cast and with limited flexure seems to be surprisingly difficult. I may need to make a tool to help pull the disassembly buttons down.
Gives me something to do during the impending snow storm. Mighty mountains from tiny molehills grow.