Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bullet Pullers

I have a bunch of 223 that needs some rework involving pulling the bullets, so I borrowed a collet-type puller from a friend. He doesn't like it, saying that it marks up the bullets when the collet closes on them and I can have it for a very reasonable price if I like it.

I very much like it. One thing though is that the collets are sized in calibers and the one I need is .223. Unfortunately the collet seems to be .220 which means the bullet sticks in it when I pull the bullet out. The solution is to add an ejector to the assembly:
Not shown is the housing, which fits into the reloading press. The collet, on the right, is drawn up into the housing when you tighten the handle, on the left, and grips the bullet. Lower your reloading press, and voila, the bullet slides out of the case. The black insert was made from plastic, 3/16" dia on the small end, and 5/16" dia on the large end, but a 10-24 x 3/16L socket head screw would do just fine. Use a plastic one and drill a very small hole into the tip to avoid marking the bullet tip. The spring is a 5/16 dia, .032 wire compression spring from Ace Hardware cut to about 1/2"long.

When the handle is loosened, the insert pushes the bullet free of the collet into your waiting hand. Speeds things up immensely and avoids marking the bullets.

2 comments:

jed said...

I have an inertial puller. Fine for an occasional oh-shit moment. Not good for doing 50 rounds, which I had to do once. Before I had that, I handled the once-in-a-while task by sticking a pliers through top of the press and gripping the bullet, held by the same based used for reloading. Since the outside of the jaws are tapered, the downward pull actually helped increase the grip on the bullet. Didn't do the bullet a lot of good, but for a one-off deal, it worked OK.

Firehand said...

I need to make an ejector for mine; that's a fine idea