Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Tale Of Two Congressmen

I write letters to congressmen on the off chance that if enough of my fellow constituents do so as well, it may influence his vote on issues. I recently wrote to one about efforts in the Senate to abolish or at least neuter the Senate rule regarding the filibuster and the Senatorial hold, which allows a Senator to slow down the progress of legislation.

To my memory, I remember it being used by Dems to impede civil rights legislation in the 50's and by Republicans to impede Obamanomics in the last two years. Absent the filibuster, the Senate is just a carbon copy of the house where legislation passes without much consideration beyond party politics.

The response I got, from Senator Bennett who described himself as a cautious moderate Dem in the last election was:
As you may know, the filibuster is a procedural tool, sometimes used by a minority of Senators to delay the Senate from proceeding to debate or a vote on legislation. Over the past two years, partisan games have prevented the Senate from moving forward on important issues such as economic recovery and creating jobs, in part due to the current rules of the filibuster.
Abuse of the filibuster is an important issue to me and I have taken actions to reform the broken filibuster process. In March, I introduced a common-sense proposal to reform the filibuster process as part of my Plan for Washington Reform.
Revealing himself to be a loyal tool of the administration. Later, I wrote representative Coffman about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, including my standard closing line about the ATF:
The Congressman is in total agreement with you that we need to severely reform Fannie and Freddie, if not do away with them altogether. Their actions have been extremely harmful and taxpayers need to stop paying for this. The Congressman also supports making major overhauls to the ATF. He was a co-sponsor on H.R. 2296, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Reform and Firearms Modernization Act of 2009, which was introduced by Representative Steve King last Congress.
So someone's working for me out in the swamp.

Get your humor fix on the topic. Go here.

No comments: