Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Berlin Wall

Coming up in two weeks, on November 9th, is the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. This thing was the most recognizable icon of the Soviet Union from the day it went up, and when it came down, what I heard at work all the next day was "I thought I'd never see the day." Over the next two years, the rest of the house of cards that was the Soviet Union crumbled.

I remember seeing the news reports with Dan Rather in a trench coat, looking as serious and solemn as could be, reporting the event, while behind him the Germans were having the biggest and best-deserved beer fest in the last 500 years. I was truly sorry I was unable to attend.

The Germans are having a celebration of the event, and have invited, among others, our president. Guess who's not attending? I imagine he will be issuing an apology for Americas role in the downfall of a near-perfect utopia.

The Bushes should go. They'd be welcome, and wouldn't embarrass us.

No comments: