Sunday, January 11, 2015

Gun Stuff - Barrel Lapping

I had such good luck the last time I tried this I've decided to try it again. The lapping bullets I used last time from Dave Tubb are not available so I decided to go with a lapping kit from Midway:
Following the directions, I put a very small amount of grit on a hard steel surface, in this case a big industrial hacksaw blade, with a drop of oil, smoothed it all out, and rolled the bullets in the oily grit, bearing down so as to embed the grit into the copper plating. It came out a bit uneven, but the instructions call for 10 rounds at each grit so it should all even out.

The bar in the background is the part I used to roll the bullets.

Someday the water around here will resume a liquid state and I'll shoot these and report the difference. Last time I picked up quite a bit of muzzle velocity and cleaning got a lot easier. 3 1-oz tubs of grit seem to be enough for several hundred guns.

No comments: