Friday, September 19, 2014

Green Technology

Something I can almost get behind. Poltical Calculations has a piece on a geothermal beer cooler guaranteed to keep your beer at a perfect temparature* for quaffing** all year round at no*** cost.

*The temperature underground varies a bit by location, but generally hovers around 58F. This is probably perfect for most English beer but far too warm for most American tastes.

**Terry Pratchett defined quaffing as taking the tankard of beer and tossing it at your face while attempting to get as much of the flying foamy down your throat as you could manage. Poor aim resulted in dropping a lot of it down the collar of the fellow behind you which frequently resulted in a fight. In the establishments where quaffing was the practice, this was known as "just another Saturday night".

***Like free solar energy, the installation costs are disregarded. Suffice it to say you can buy a small refrigerator and run it for a good long time for the cost of this rig.


2 comments:

David aka True Blue Sam said...

You can put some beers in cool tap water for a few minutes for the same effect, and it works for me. As I've grown older, I like my drinks less colder. Desert camping taught me that warm beer was still beer, so cool is all I go for nowadays. I have also learned to like coffee after it has gone cold. Strange.

Billll said...

Since I started drinking craft beers which tend to be dark brown, I find that most of the time just leaving them on the concrete floor of the garage works fine. This is noticeably colder in the winter.