Sunday, February 7, 2010

Gun Fun 2

It must be 11, because the film has arrived. Our clubs Battle of Stalingrad Memorial Bowling Pin Shoot, so named because of the similar temperatures.
Here's what it's all about:
Clear your table before the other fellow clears his. This guy looks to be 1 pin ahead of the competition. Those tables are 4 ft x 8 ft, so the pins don't have to fall right off for you.
If you don't get a clean hit, or if your gun is a smaller caliber, you get something like this, with 5 "wounded" pins, taking cover so as to make your following shots both necessary and less effective. Could be worse, they could have fallen with the tops pointing toward the shooter.

We has two new shooters from Finland, bringing IPSC equipment that we don't normally see. Since we're strictly unofficial, we let anyone play.
Contest: For 500 Billll bucks, value zero, can anyone ID the gun she's using? I know it's a 9, but I missed the technical details. Another thing: She uses that gun regularly, and is very good with it. She can knock down 5 pins, then shoot them again to get them off the table faster than most of us can shoot 5 pins.
She finished 3rd overall. This was her usual finish. Her husband, using a conventional (looking) .45 auto, finished 2nd.

I use a revolver. The disadvantage is that I only have 6 shots before I have to reload, which is a relatively slow process. Hence I have an incentive to not miss. In a good round, I fire 5 shots, and clear the table, and hopefully my opponent, shooting faster, has missed enough times to be reloading while I drop the last pin. Let me point out that the ammo you use for this should be carefully selected, so as to give uniform results.
Or you can do like I do, and use whatever is on the top of the heap. Not only did I win the table I shot with this collection, I did it in 5. Practice, Practice, Practice.

The pins had been sitting in the equipment shed for 2 weeks at sub-freezing temps, and were very brittle. Hits frequently produced a shower of plastic fragments, and split the wood inside.

2 comments:

Robert said...

STI 2011, although I couldn't tell you the exact variant.

www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php

Billll said...

Looks like either a Steel Master or a Match Master.