Saturday, November 1, 2008

Home Economics

Of a sort. I've been told I can get back on my motorcycle the 16th of this month, if I promise to be very careful. Still, no drinking until January, which depending on how the election turns out, is not good.

In the coming hard times, however, the paper that knows best how to get to the good times, the Wall St. Journal, has a piece on what the best whiskeys might be if your portfolio isn't supporting the better single malts.

Sampling Whiskies

GOOD/VERY GOOD

Teacher's Highland Cream $16.99
Robust, chewy malt taste gives this whisky ballast. Above deck, the Scotch gets dressed in the elegantly restrained smokiness of the lightly peated Ardmore single malt.

Ballantine's Finest $13.99
A rich, rounded, malty sweetness balanced by dry herbal notes.

GOOD

J&B Rare $18.99
A grassy-green young whisky in which you can taste the light and flowery Knockando single malt, one of its constituent parts.

White Horse $12.99
A soft whisky with hints of vanilla, cinnamon, and caramel.

I don't normally drink whiskey, but this description of Teachers is enough to pique my curiosity.
Might make a good Christmas present.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Teacher's does sound interesting. Still, I'm a single-malt snob. And I have enough Highland Park on hand to get me through Tuesday night, and on into Wednesday if necessary.

For that matter, if things get bad enough, I have Russian Standard vodka too. Not as smooth as, e.g. Ketel One, but then maybe once the results are in I'll feel more like drinking jet fuel.

Billll said...

Thanks, I'm told, to the grandmother of a friend of mine, Hemlock now grows in Colorado, along Bear Creek and possibly Clear Creek.

Squeeze the roots, and serve it to your liberal friends, describing it as a European classic, drunk by great philosophers.