Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Future Of Transportation - Electric

The Norwegians announce a prototype electric motorcycle with flash styling, a top speed of 100 mph, and a GVW of 67 lbs.
Liberal use of carbon fiber offsets the slightly heavier batteries selected. Max range is listed as 60 miles, but probably not at 100 mph.

For reference, the Corbin electric motorcycle, built in San Jose in the 70's, had a top speed of 70 mph and a range of 70 miles. This produces a Billlls performance index (r) of 4900 vs 6000 for the Roskva.
I suppose a 20% performance improvement is nice for 40 years of engineering effort, but I still wonder what the number would look like if we divided the (range x top speed) by the price. Graphite is not cheap.

This project was done by college students, which means worst case it cost tuition and board for 5 at a Norwegian university for one semester. A bargain compared to the Volt which costs you and me a cool quarter mil for each one put on the road. I've seen two of these on my daily commute, neither one of which was on fire. I've also seen a couple of Bentlys, which rounds the total out to an even million bucks in rolling stock. I'm pretty sure I had no financial interest at all in the Bentlys.

No comments: