Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gun Fun, Of A Sort

I just shot the current e-postal match with my venerable Nylon 66. This classic came to me complete with a BSA 4-7x scope of the sort I used to commonly see mounted on BB guns and air rifles. Prep for shooting a 10-round target involves loading 14 rounds, shooting 2 rounds at a sighter target, adjusting the sights, taking 2 more shots on the sighter, then firing the remaining 10 rounds at the squirrels, allowing for the last offset.

I found that if I set the rifle down, even on a padded surface, the zero would move up to one inch in some random direction, requiring the sighting drill be done all over. I do believe that the scope, classic though it may be, has reached the end of its usable lifespan.

I have a 1.5-6 x 40mm scope left over from another experiment which should serve well even if it evokes thoughts of the (\facetious) mounting of the 9-24 x 34mm varmint scope on the Raven .25 auto. No I didn't do that, Google it yourself. The picture was hilarious.

No comments: