Monday, September 6, 2010

Reising .22 Pistol

This little number was made from 1921 to 1924 by the Reising Arms Co. Given the rather short production run, one has to wonder a bit, but here's a puff piece from Hunting Blades.com which seems to be a repro of some original advertising copy. Later Eugine Reising became famous as the patent holder / designer of the Model 50 and 60 .45 cal submachine guns which the Marines threw into the rivers in the Phillipines in order to expedite getting M1s.
This example seems to be one of the first (1921), to judge by the serial number, and features wood grips, heavily checkered, and featuring the slogan "Like A Bear" carved under the image of a bear. Note the small button just above the trigger. This releases the barrel and slide for maintenance.
Note the lack of any other buttons or levers. This was evidently on purpose, so as not to interfere with the shooters grip. In place of a safety, the shooter was expected to lower the hammer fully, and then pull it back to a half cock position. While the half-cock is certainly safe, you've got to wonder about the process of pulling the trigger on a loaded gun to get there.
Here it is with the barrel tilted forward. At this point the slide can be slid back slightly and removed.
Looking down on an open gun, notice the spring looks like it was borrowed from a ball point pen. This makes for very easy slide action, and is the reason, along with the very light construction of the slide, why .22 high velocity ammo should not be used.

I found that Remington subsonic worked fine in it, never failing to cycle the bolt. The only problem was that the ammo failed to fire as regularly as I had expected. I found that a failure to fire could usually be corrected by manually pulling back the hammer, and trying again.

I don't know when this gun was last serviced, but I suspect that a thorough cleaning would probably help. It seemed to be reasonably accurate, but with all the failures to fire, I decided to test that another day. It seems to be a good matchup with Lesters Ammunition.

Shortcomings notwithstanding, I believe I'll try shooting the next e-postal match with it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

"In place of a safety, the shooter was expected to lower the hammer fully, and then pull it back to a half cock position. While the half-cock is certainly safe, you've got to wonder about the process of pulling the trigger on a loaded gun to get there."

Can't you tip the barrel down and remove the round first, as with a Beretta Tomcat? -- Lyle

Billll said...

I guess the answer is "sort of". Push the barrel release backwards, that's it above the trigger on the left, and you can push the slide back a tad, if the hammer is back, and swing the barrel down. Unfortunately, the bolt spring then slips under the bolt, and you have to pull that back with a tool, say a pocket knife blade, in order to get the bolt to seat, and allow the barrel to be swung back.
Shorter answer is yes, but it involves disassembling the top half of the gun.

J Zargo said...

I was able to get the barrel tilted and removed,but cannot get the slide removed on my Reising 22 made in Hartford,Conn serial number 1553. Good review.

Billll said...

The slide comes off easily.
1. cock the hammer.
2. rotate the barrel release button, and pull the slide back just a bit. The barrel now tilts forward. Hear that click? that's the slide spring.
3. Lift the front of the slide up and move it forward off the frame.

When you put the slide back on;
1. Set it down forward on the frame, and pull the spring back with a small screwdriver until the slide sets properly on the frame. Release the spring.
2. Holding the slide down, and with the release button to the rear, move the slide back until the barrel can swing into position.
3. Insure you didn't have the spring slip out from the slide by racking the slide.

Your Sherman tank is now complete.*

*Extra points for identifying the reference on that last line.

J Zargo said...

Thanks,but I still can't remove the slide. Something is still holding it to the frame in the rear section. ?

gdoerner196@cs.com said...

I have this pistol with Ser # 1000. The blue book says ser #'s begin at 1001 to 4000. I was told by my deceased Father that it was the first prototype. How can I ascertain this? Thanks, George (gdoerner196@cs.com)

Billll said...

It's been a while, but as I remember the guns were made in 2 batches, one in Connecticut and one in New York. At some point the serial numbers changed to denote the new location. More than that I can't remember but the whole story is out there.

Anonymous said...

Billl, I have scaned the internet for serial number info but can't find a thing. My number is 1000. You mean it may not be a prototype? When you say the story "is out there", in what direction might I look? Thanks for your kind attention. GDoerner

Anonymous said...

And mine says, Hartford, Ct. 1916

Billll said...

The antique and collectable folks at the gun show had a very large book whose title I have forgotten, with all sorts of information and history on any obscure gun you might bring by.

A visit to your local gun show and asking for information on such a group would surely turn up someone with a copy of the book.

Unknown said...

I see this is an older thread but if any if you have questions about your reising pistol, give me a shout. I have worked on over thirty different models, have learned some tricks and tips. Email me back at ncf326 at gmail

Unknown said...

I'd love to see this gun be and talk further. I have 1001 in my possession.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a photo of it? Because I happen to know a guy who has 1001 in his possession as well.

Reisingfan said...

Just found this thread.I have serial #999.Was also thinking prototype. Not a loton of info floating around on these.

Billll said...

Mine has a 5 digit serial number, probably indicative of being the second run, made in New York.