Saturday, January 21, 2012

Steampunk

I rather like steampunk. One of my favorite webcomics, Girl Genius, just reeks of it. There's a certain attraction to taking mundane devices, and turning them into brass-bedecked rube goldbergs, especially if all that decoration actually does something. Here's some commentary on the topic:



H/T to Bayou Renaissance Man

I have a blunderbuss barrel. What it needs is a brass housing around the back end, enclosing a spring driven motor that comes slowly up to speed while emitting an ominously rising pitched whine, before releasing the striker onto the percussion cap. Multi-colored whirligigs and a smoke-emitting stack would be a plus.

Something to do in my spare time.

2 comments:

jed said...

Would that be the sound I hear in Firefly whenever someone cocks their pistol?

(Really hate that)

Billll said...

More like the "ominous hum" that accompanies the presentation of Sargent Schlocks blaster.