Monday, June 7, 2010

Squirrels

I had gotten two squirrels up to yesterday, and was becoming convinced that the squirrel trap was like using antibiotics to produce super bugs. I had a new squirrel, a real aggressive one, who, when the dog barked at him, would bark back most scornfully.

I saw him dive into the pipe of the trap, holding on with his back feet, scoop out the peanut butter, and enjoy the snack on the fence. Had he noticed me noticing him, I'm sure he would have mooned me. I'm pretty sure he actually fell in once, but managed to get out somehow.

Solution: Put the peanut butter about an inch lower in the pipe. Checked today, and I've got twofers. Thinning the squirrel population is like digging a foxhole in a pond. While I'm emptying the trap, the dog is barking at the next one over on the other side of the lawn. Too bad the urban squirrels taste like the trash they eat.

No comments: