Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Future of Transportation

This is perhaps less likely to be seen anytime soon as it is an exercise in modern chic done by students at an industrial stylists school in Austria:
At the site you'll also see how well this desin will fit in to the relatively uncrowded streets of Calcutta, where it easily shares the road with an elephant. In Austria, presumably, doors would be added for winter use, although I'm not sure how much I want to ride across Vienna in the winter time, even with some studly fellow in lederhosen pumping away in the back seat.

If you want to know where this came from, here's a picture I took in Viet-Nam:
Not as stylish as the carbon-fiber wonder from Austria, but what it lacks in looks, it more than makes up for in excitement. Note the brass foot rail, which doubles as the front bumper. Note the passenger, who doubles as the airbag in an accident. Better yet, ignore all that and take a ride. In the Saigon traffic, where Newtonian Law (My vehicle has more mass than your vehicle, therefore I have the right of way) is supreme, this thing was better than any e-ticket ride Disney has to offer.

I would love to lay my hands on one of these.

1 comment:

Tim D said...

Looks like something out of a Tex Avery cartoon. Complete with the Mother-in-law seat and the wheel in the back for backseat drivers.

-Tim D