Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gun Fun

Contributing to the ammo shortage around here, I got out to the club IDPA (sort of) match last weekend. The finger is still sore, so I figured if I could get the hits, eventually, with my left hand, I'd at least keep my skill level up. Besides, practicing with the weak hand is good, right?

Knowledge gained:
1. Using the CZ-82, I find I can shoot it right-handed, using the remains of my trigger finger.
2. This, however, hurts. I'll try again next month, and on the Postal match.
3. Using a gel/elastic/cloth covering on the trigger finger, I can shoot fairly well using the middle finger. The slight powder burns on the covering don't hurt at all.

Case in point, the world-famous Big Mac Attack drill.

For this exercise, we posit you are grabbing lunch at some fast food joint, apparently in a part of town far less savory than you thought. You get your order and turn around, only to find 2 armed critters standing behind you who would like to add your watch and wallet to their order, which likely will include the contents of the register.
The start point is shown here with our happily enthusiastic model, Bob. Note the panic-stricken bystander crowding in behind the thugs, who hasn't gotten the memo about the holdup yet. Whatever you do to the thugs, the bystander is supposed to survive the experience, untouched.

Step 1: Turn and drop your tray, and engage the two critters, who are about arms length from you. Points off for assuming a "politically correct" stance and 2-handed grip. Shoot from the hip. At this distance, you're unlikely to miss.

Step 2: You note that the first 2 miscreants have brought friends. You can see one of them over Bobs right shoulder.

In fact, there are 3 of them. The angle could have been better here, but behind the nearest gunman are, in fact, 2 assailants, one of them with a gun and one with a knife, and behind the gunman is the third baddie, apparently a rabid midget, represented by a popper, with yet another luckless pedestrian located directly behind him. Your mission is now to move to your left and while firing on-handed, deal with the gunman and the knife man as you pass by, and find cover, just outside the picture, where you shoot the rabid midget without hitting the pedestrian.
This is a view of the popper. Now imagine there's a no-shoot directly behind it. Earlier, I had tagged this thing with one shot, so no sweat, right?

So I do this drill. 1st 2 baddies: A-zone, no sweat. Fast walk toward the cover and nail the other 2, A-zone no sweat. Get to cover and try to carefully line up sights for the popper, and drat! forgot to change glasses before starting the drill. Can't actually see the sights clearly. 5 shots later I assume the midget has run up to me and torn out my throat, and give up. The bystander is totally toast.

Note to self: Change glasses when entering fast food joints.
Note to pedestrians: When entering a fast food joint behind a midget, listen for gunfire. If you hear any, consider another food source, it'll be healthier.

No comments: