Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Motorcycles

Went out to prep the Honda last Friday, and noticed a bit of Bondo flaking off the right front frame down tube. This is not a place one usually associates with Bondo, so I chipped it off, and found it was covering a 360 deg. fracture of the frame tube. I mean it almost looked like someone had cut the tube in two with a hacksaw.
Finding this somewhat disconcerting, and thinking it probably had something to do with the remarkably mundane handling the bikes had been exhibiting, I made a quick check of the rest of the frame. Of the four backbone tubes, 2 were fractured completely through, and the other two were fractured about 2/3 of the way around.
It appears the bike had been in an accident with the prior owner, who, of course, assured me it hadn't, and the stresses induced in the modest bending of the frame had resulted in the fractures, over time.
I pushed things back toward where they belong, and welded up the damage as best I could, which results in a much better handling bike, but nevertheless, one that needs a new frame.
Crud.
One more unwanted item on my "to do" list.

No comments: