Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Motorcycles and offspring

Among my other talents, I fancy myself a bit of a motorcycle mechanic. This is a useful talent for me as I am currently riding motorcycle #42, #43 having already come and gone. Anyway, my daughter has gotten the bug, and bought herself a Kawasaki 250 Ninja.

I tried to explain that a cruiser style bike would probably suit her better, making for a more comfortable riding position for the kind of short trips she would be likely to be using it for, but she felt that the fashion statement made by the swoopy sport bike was more to her liking.

She picked up a 92 model in black, with 9200 miles on it. Close inspection reveals that it has only been dropped a couple of times, and apparently at quite modest speeds, possibly even in a driveway.

9200 miles in 16 years = spoiled gas as a result of a lot of garage time.

Removing the carbs is much easier than I had expected. It helped that the first 4 times were done without the help of the service manual. The official, approved method starts with removal of the gas tank and rear fender. Getting the carbs off by this method is similar to rescuing coal miners trapped at the bottom of a really deep hole.

5th time is the charm, I guess, finally removing the last bit of whatever was in there, the bike is now a lively, fun-to-ride machine, if you don’t mind getting out-dragged by soccer moms in mini-vans.

Did I mention that my current bike is somewhat bigger than the little Ninja?

You can get a learners permit for a motorcycle in Colorado. When I first heard about this, I was aghast that the state thought that a more experienced rider would be willing to ride along with a rank amateur on the pillion seat. Turns out this sort of thing isn’t required, you just ride along with the newbie on your own bike. The more experienced rider(s) ride like they normally do, only a bit slower to provide protective cover, and the newbie tries to keep up.

Now that I’ve got the Ninja mostly sorted out, darling daughter is coming to the conclusion that a cruiser-style bike would probably be easier to ride, and more comfortable than the sport bike.

It’s a waste of time, trying to impart wisdom to kids who are bright enough to figure it out for themselves, you know?

2 comments:

Robert Racansky said...

"I am currently riding motorcycle #42"

42, of course, being the answer to the ultimate question about Life, The Universe, and Everything.

It must be one heck of a bike.

Billll said...

If this bike is the answer, the question must have been badly phrased. The '83 Honda V-65 has enough horsepower for 2 bikes, 80-120 depending on whom you ask, and enough weight for 2 of them also, 575 lb.
Doesn't handle all that well either, although this is probably traceable to worn suspension components.