Friday, September 10, 2021

The Value Of Women

 In Afghanistan anyway, the price is quite low as people are discovering that with the Taliban firmly in charge, there is little work to be had. 

“I received an offer from a shop owner, a man I knew had no children,” Nazir continued. “He offered 20,000 afghans [Afghan currency, AFN] for my daughter Safia to live with him and work in his shop. If I ever get the 20,000 Afghans to buy her back, he said I could. But I can’t sell my daughter for that low a price, so I asked for 50,000. We are still discussing. She may have a better future working in a shop than staying with me, and the price may save my family.”

50,000 AFN is roughly $576.43

Taliban have been in charge now for only a couple of weeks. Care to speculate what a child might bring come winter? 

No comments: