Saturday, February 27, 2016

Gun Fun - Training

As of today, I am now a certified Safety Officer with the IDPA. Yay me!

Among other things in order to get here we had to break up into teams of 3 and run a stage to show we all knew all the dance steps and calls. So I start out as SO, with a shooter and a scorer. My shooter gets to the line and I read the scene, point out all the positions and targets, call the range hot and ask him to load and make ready.

He pulls a Glock 22 and slides in a mag, releases the slide and gets a jam.
He clears the jam with some difficulty and repeats the feat: Another jam.
I loan him my folding knife which helps clear the jam, and he tries again with the same results.
Being a good SO I have him clear the gun and put it up.

Turns out he has a conversion kit for the gun to allow either 9mm or .40 S&W. After the last time he cleaned the gun he put all the .40 stuff into it except the barrel. This explains why his favorite .40 rounds were jamming. Could have been worse, could have been the other way around.

All in all, a productive and enlightening day.

Next scheduled IDPA match/major blizzard will be Mar 12 at Dumont.



No comments: