Monday, June 17, 2013

New Range - Colorado Rifle Club

O.K. I'm late with this. Back on the 9th I went to my new gun club to be orientated and shown the facilities. Colorado Rifle Club has 2 square miles of prairie on which they have independent, berm-separated areas devoted to archery, shotgun, pistol, .22 rifles, Schutzen, high-power, and silhouette for rifle and pistol, center fire and rimfire. There are also 6 50 yard, one 100 yard, and soon to be 1 200 yard narrow bermed areas for everything else.

All shooting is on the south end of the south section with the north section devoted to buffer.

I already got told I wouldn't be allowed to shoot my mortar there. Bummer.  Use the search block in the upper left-hand corner. The fellow I talked to seemed to think the noise might be an issue. The projectiles certainly wouldn't leave the range.

The really bad news is that the place is about halfway to Kansas. If I meet my shooting buddy at the usual spot, the drive runs 82 miles from my place. One way. Drive time is right at 1-1/2 hours, so if I'm going, I'm planning on spending some time there.

Camping is available with power. No sanitary hookup, but plenty of rest rooms. Plus you're only 15 miles or so from the spirited nightlife of lively downtown Bennett CO (look it up on Google maps). They have a full schedule of all sorts of events except bowling pins. As the closure of the WHAC range is still being adjudicated with the zoning commission, we'll see how that works out.

Meantime, since the Governor is a big fan of boondoggle projects, now would be the time to lobby him for a rail line to run from Aurora to Watkins, and east to Lead Valley and CRC.

1 comment:

jed said...

Well, it's still closer than the Pawnee.