Wednesday, July 1, 2015

CCW

Finally broke down and finished the process of applying for my permit. Visited the Arapahoe County Sherriff this morning at quarter to nine to find the doors unlocked and everyone in place in spite of their official opening time of 9 AM. I got assigned docket "A" for the day. Every one was upbeat and friendly as though they were happy to see me. My papers were inspected and copied and my signature was witnessed. I gave them papers, money, fingerprints and a photograph and didn't even have to hold the little title board up or turn to the left.

New state rules: All state ID must use a blue background, and if you wear glasses, you must take them off. Next year it might be different.

The whole process took only about 1/2 hour, a notable part of that included fiddling with the electronic fingerprint machine which was proving to be quite fussy this morning.

All that's left is to cool my heels for 15-90 days while all the "instant" checks are performed. Some counties will add a CCW persons name to the police "persons of interest" list which causes the patrolman's computer to flag you when a cop runs your license plate. Some don't. I forgot to ask. Maybe I'll remember to ask when I go to pick the card up since they won't mail it.

5 comments:

Merle said...

If you don't mind me asking, what state is this for?

Merle

Billll said...

Colorado.

Merle said...

OK, thanks. The county name sounded more like Arizona to me....

Merle

mikee said...

Apropos of nothing, I note that here in my Austin suburban town of Round Rock, TX, the police cars now have automatic license plate scanners that read just about every plate the police car sees (we have front & rear plates here in TX), and the officer's in-car computer queries multiple databases to see if any given car is in need of stopping for out of date warrants, registrations, lack of insurance, etc., etc., etc....

I found this out when pulled over in a rental car (self-insured by Enterprise Rentacar, so no insurance filed with the state of Texas). There was no reason, nor reasonable cause, for the stop other than the reading of my plate and the lack of insurance found via computer.

I already know that the in-car computer tells the officers I am a concealed carry licensee; yet by law I still must present my CHL with my DL when stopped while carrying, and verbally inform the officer I am carrying.

I bet your local police have the same setup; most modern local police do.

If they do, I wonder if you will be stopped as a PoI while out driving around?

Billll said...

+If the police were doing this, I would certainly know about it. There is no current requirement to inform the cops of anything right now.