Sunday, July 1, 2012

New .40 S&W Ammo

I saw some ammo at the range yesterday that has to be seen to be believed. Or maybe you've all seen it and I'm late to the party. Anyway, you start out with brass from S&W 40 and a 9mm.
When I put the brass together in the tumbler, they mate up nicely.
So one takes the 9mm brass, swages it out to .401 in a press, and fills it with lead to make a jacketed hollow point which I don't have a picture of. Use your imagination. It looks a lot like the above picture except the end is lead and hollow instead of plated and round.

They seem to feed just fine, and the hollow point expands impressively:
This is the back end, obviously, and the front end:
Ker-Splat! This one was shot on a steel target. The lead splattered, but the brass jacket opened up nicely, don't you think?

1 comment:

jed said...

I've heard of that -- at least the concept. Don't recall if it was specifically 9mm for .40. I was looking around a few years back for any info on making your own jacketed bullets.