Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Daily Grind

Local TV channel 7 has posted a list of the 10 most dangerous places to drive in Denver:
The following is a list of the top 10 accident locations in Denver in 2009 according Denver police.
  • I-25 at I-70 -- 195 crashes
  • I-25 at Alameda Avenue -- 192 crashes
  • I-25 at 6th Avenue -- 177 crashes
  • I-25 at 20th Avenue -- 176 crashes
  • I-25 at Santa Fe Drive -- 128 crashes
  • I-70 at Quebec Street -- 118 crashes
  • I-25 at Colfax Avenue -- 105 crashes
  • I-25 at Hampden Avenue -- 93 crashes
  • I-70 at Peoria Street -- 88 crashes
  • I-70 at Quebec Street -- 84 crashes
This is per the Denver police, and I know it doesn't include a couple of places I know about just outside of Denver, notably I25 just north of town and I-25 just south of town and at Monument Hill.

Ignoring that, my daily commute takes me through locations 1 through 5 as well as #7. Both ways.

Oh well, a life unrisked, they say, is not worth living, so absent a straight razor to shave with, I drive to work on the municipal deathtraps, on a motorcycle. Uphill. Both ways. Barefoot. In the snow.

O.K. that last part may be stretching it a bit. #7 is under construction. I'd think that CDOT would post pretty pictures showing the smoothly flowing traffic that's sure to follow completion, but right now I'm going with a new football stadium and parking garage going up there.

#5 is under construction as well. It looks like the XL pipeline, carrying crude from Canada to Houston will be routed under the center median of I-25 at some point.

No comments: