Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Party of the Rich

Back in the 70s, I became a Republican, or at least quit being a democrat. The president at the time may have had something to do with it, or maybe it was buying my first house. Anyway one of my friends noted that the Republicans were the Party of the rich, while the Dems advertised themselves as the party of the poor, and given my status as perennially poor, shouldn't I be a Dem?.

My answer was: "Well, which would you rather be?"

He converted about a week later.

Today we have further proof. The Dems are well and truly the party of the poor.
WASHINGTON – The number of people in the U.S. who are in poverty is on track for a record increase on President Barack Obama's watch, with the ranks of working-age poor approaching 1960s levels that led to the national war on poverty.
So which would YOU prefer to be?

1 comment:

Brad K. said...

My parents were Democrat. I was raised to think of myself as Democrat.

And yet there hasn't been a Democratic Presidential candidate since before Jimmy Carter that I could support or agree with.

It really struck me how President Reagan's "VooDoo" economics - fire the striking Air Traffic Controller union (PATCO), cut back government and government spending, and reduce business taxes - worked. The realities of a Capitalist system (government works with and supports capitalists - wealthy and companies) seem to work better, more "sustainably".

My concern is the inept front men that the Republican Party seems so enamored of. I don't appreciate Sarah Palin, I don't see her as a particularly astute or able politician - yet I was heartened by her nomination as VP candidate in the last election. I took that as a sign that the Republican Party was listening to criticism, was cleaning up the "old boy" network that had gotten mired in ineffective talking heads instead of able and competent politicians.

I have been registered Republican since Jimmy Carter days, and don't regret it. President Obama is my President - yet I oppose nearly everything he advocates and tries to do. Unlike the Clinton's, Obama's faults seem rooted in Marxist and Islamic fundamentalism and incompetence; the Clintons were simply amoral and corrupt.

Anyway, I am Republican, out of work, struggling, and more angry with an entrenched, inept Republican Party than horrified at the shallow vote-mongering of the Democrats.