Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Small Gods

My squirrel trap is working impressively well, bagging one every couple days, I'm up to eight in 2 weeks now. The problem is disposing of the bodies. I got 2 in quick succession near the beginning of last week, and facing 5 days of 90+ degree weather, elected to bury them. Then something came round, and dug one up. Again, Friday PM, after trash pickup, I got another, and thought to myself: "Self, I bet if I just leave this one under the Walnut tree where the other one was dug up, I bet he'll be gone tomorrow morning."
Sure enough, it worked. Likewise with the next one.
One of Terry Pratchetts characters from the Discworld series is Offler, the crocodile god. His followers have a small statue of him in their houses with a platform in front of the figuring, and honor him by leaving a small bowl of food there at night. In the morning, the food is gone, and life goes on with minimal disturbance for the follower.
This is getting to be like being a follower of Offler. Leave the offering, and in the morning the offering is gone, and my peaches continue uneaten.
My only worry at this point is what happens if the supply of squirrels dries up, and Offler doesn't get fed? Does he come looking for me or what?

No comments: