Saturday, May 31, 2014

Ammo Shortage

Last month I noted that the scalper at the gun show table next to mine was cutting his asking price for 550 ct Remington .22 from $65 to $50. This marks the first time in a while I've seen .22 at under $.10/rd.

This weekend I visited a gun store who shall remain nameless and note that he had the same boxes on his shelf marked at $119/box.

Folks, when your asking price is double the gun show price, you need to cut your prices or plan on seeing those boxes for a good long time.

1 comment:

Brad K. said...

Last fall a local independent gun and archery store told me they could order a *single* brick of .22 ammo any time . . that they ordered a .22 rifle.

Later that day I spoke to the owner of a local pawn shop. Proud that he was able to have brought in 5,000 rounds of .22 for sale, he showed me the tricked-out AR rifle his distributor required him to buy, in order to get the .22 ammo. He couldn't sell the AR for what it cost him, so the bricks of .22 ammo came out priced at $100 a brick. I kinda think that price was in line with his cost.

Meanwhile, locally the scalpers preying on Walmart, etc., are still alive and scraping shelves of retail-priced ammo.