Tuesday, July 16, 2013

QOTD - Sourcing

We see all sorts of QOTD stuff of one sort of deathless prose or another, variously ascribed to everybody from Thomas Jefferson to Caligula, all too often wrongly. This one is from a commenter, Sam, at Legal Insurrection.
I first encountered that saying online in the 1990s and the man who said it was science fiction writer L. Neil Smith. I asked if I could borrow it and he said yes. His original quote was about Handgun Control Inc. but it applies to all gun controllers. “Gun control: the group that would rather see a woman dead in an alley with her pantyhose knotted around her neck than see her with a gun in her hand.” It’s still true.
I had often thought that the way I usually heard that line seemed clunky and stilted and I was right.

No comments: