Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fuhgeddaboudit

Ever have memories you'd like to erase? Now there's a drug that makes it possible.
It seem that a memory is a reconstruction your neurons make from a collection of disassembled parts every time you bring it up. The drug in question defeats the neurons efforts at reconstruction so that the next time there's no mechanism to do it.

You take the pill, wait a few minutes, then relive the memory by reading a written account of it, during which your brain unsuccessfully attempts to freshen up the labels on the parts, and after some number of repeats, you find that you can't bring up the memory at all.

Presumably you will need to make some effort to keep your mind from wandering while you are waiting for the drug to take effect, and while you're reading the account of that drunken party, oh look a squirrel, geez it's going to be rush hour when I get done here..

Afterward you won't remember the party, and hey, what's that cute furry thing out there in the tree? My registration slip says I own a 93 dodge. Has anyone seen one of those parked around here? Holy smoke! I don't remember traffic being this bad!

I wonder if the Talking Heads were in fact the Beta test group for this?

2 comments:

Brad K. said...

Ooh! Does this mean we can empty our jails of rapists and murderers, since we can now make them forget about how to commit their crime, or wanting to commit their crime, or even what a crime is?

Or will this be some kind of 'defense strategy', sort of an automatic Get Out Of Jail Free! card for every criminal defense? "Sorry, your honor. My client did the deed, and knew right from wrong then, and understands her/his rights now and the process and import of this trial. But I have here an affidavit that my client was treated at the Criminals R Us clinic, and now doesn't remember enough about the events to conduct a defense."

Which would then validate using the first approach to let the old-time-prison-types catch up to modern technology.

Or, on the domestic front, "Sorry, honey, I don't remember if I stayed by myself in that hotel on my business trip."

Perhaps in school, "Sorry, Ma'am. But the questions were so hard on the Algebra homework, that I got into Daddy's pills and now I don't know any Algebra at all!"

What about parents with a kid that just won't move out? Can they force the leech to forget what home is?

The mind boggles. Will you be promoting these pills with an eBay store?

Billll said...

Promoting what pills?