Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Health Care

Paul Mirengoff of Power Line is proposing that we ask out congress animals to agree to a pledge:
My Pledge to My Constituents on National Health Insurance

1. I will not vote to expand the bankrupt Medicare program unless and until it is first placed on a sound actuarial basis.

2. I will not vote for any national health insurance legislation that includes a public plan unless I am prepared to enroll myself and my family in the public plan. If a national health insurance bill with a public plan passes the Senate with my vote in support, then I pledge to enroll myself and my family in that public plan.
This is very high sounding, and is probably a good start, BUT we already know that the congress cannot run the insurance industry.

They cannot run the automobile industry.

The cannot run the banking industry.

They cannot manage Wall Street.

And in spite of a preponderance of evidence that many of them are quite familiar with business practices in the industry, we have proof that they cannot operate a whorehouse a few miles from Las Vegas.

My own preference would be for a pledge to vote NO on any piece of legislation regarding business except for one calling for complete withdrawal of government involvement from business except for enforcement of contracts, but that would probably be too much to hope for.

They are supposedly coming home Aug 7th for the August break without voting on the health care bill. Most of them will be having a "town hall" meeting with the constituents while they're here, and I would suggest making it a point to show up at the meetings with metaphorical pitchforks and torches, and be prepared to give the bums a piece of your mind. Visit their websites to find the scheduled times and places.

Same tactic applies to Senators, who are sitting on the Cap and Tax bill the house sent to them.

No comments: