Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Future of Transportation

While out perusing the junkyard for parts for my Dodge, I noticed a small van, which had been hit or had hit something from the front.
This is a VanGo Vantage utility vehicle. What's unusual about this is this:
This is the first vehicle I've seen in the yard from the PRC. It had a tag on the back, indicating that the vehicle was NOT DOT approved for highway use, and not licenseable as such, but if you go to their website here, they list it as being able to carry up to 5 passengers. The spec sheet claims a 995cc engine, giving it a top speed of 25 mph.

None of the pictures on the website seem to show the drivers seat, but here's the money shot of the thing:
Note that the steering column is sitting just about where the 'ol family jewels would be, and the front panel has bent back in such a way as to come pretty close to amputating your legs. I suppose the compensation for this is that the unfortunate driver could probably push the wheel forward, and unbend the bodywork enough to extract himself without waiting for the jaws of life to show up.

With 55 hp, I would have expected it to be faster than 25 mph, but I guess that's compensation for its 2500 lb payload. Of course if the guy ahead of you is in a mule-drawn cart, you don't need a lot of speed.

Expect to see these all over town soon.

5 comments:

yirel said...

I have one of these little ones and they do run faster than 25 mph .. they actually get to 60. Mph but have a speed governor for safety and government regulations .. i drive it all over town for short trips and save a lot of $ in gas... this is just like an electic low speed vehicle only better because it guards you from the elements...

Billll said...

The lack of DOT approval probably relates to the lack of federal crash protection. In my youth we had a Renault that weighed in at about 1700 lb and had an 1100cc engine that would reach 100 mph.

The van looks like it would be very practical in an urban setting. I have my doubts one could get a license for one in the U.S.

Anonymous said...

I also own one of these little vans and they are great on Gas!!! 50+ mpg! I live in Florida and they are street legal here and I drive it all over the place. I hope and pray that nobody hits me though!

Anonymous said...

What kind of mods could you make to increase crash protection? How could you attach a roll cage?

Anonymous said...

I've read about several people who have made their's "street". I intend to do it too, but it's a headache.

I was tempted to stay silent after reading this, but what the heck; why not chime in?

Fortunately/unfortunately, the American version usually has the computer set at 25mph, but OEM computers aren't. I am not advocating looking for these computers and if you have modified yours for some reason, change it back BEFORE you sell it and slap an LSV sticker and reflective triangle on it first. Never sell it as a high speed vehicle, just from a civil liability standpoint because you can never predict what a judge might think.

Know your risks and avoid highway speeds or passengers. I intend to use mine for work purposes only "if" it passes the required inspections and becomes street legal.

I hoping, if you approach the inspections with positive compliance as the question, you'll ask "How do I make this roadworthy? What's the next step?" If yoy do this, the odds are better that the inspectors will work with you. Have faith. And maybe deep pockets to add a roll cage (or whatever they might require).

What do you guys think?