Monday, September 8, 2008

Bike to Work

Saw the doctor today, and he tells me he's quite favorably impressed with my rate of recovery. I have permission to go back to work, mow the lawn, if I wear my ear muffs, and whatever else whenever I think I'm ready. which will likely be another week for anything inherently hazardous.

Some time this week, I'm going to try to get my bike back, and try to modify the seat a bit to improve the comfort factor.

It also seems that one of the avid bicyclists at work crashed last week, and while he was wearing a helmet, he has a broken collar bone and several other fractures. I could almost believe I got off easier that he did. Almost.

There's a statistic kicking around somewhere that suggests you are at significantly higher risk of a debilitating accident on a bicycle that in a car or even on a motorbike. Seems the figure was >10X for being on a bike. I believe this. The average bicyclist is largely oblivious to what's going on around him, and believes that the reduced speed eliminates all risk of injury anyway.

Oh well, we live and learn, or, as they say, we don't live long.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't recover TOO quickly, Bill. We want you intact!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to stick to riding on the bike paths. I'm really thinking that cars and bikes do not play well together.
evh

Billll said...

Bluknight: Not to worry, D'Wife despairs of this injury producing any "useful" improvements in my personality.

Anon: I got whacked on the bike path, as did the fellow from work. Bicyclists don't seem to play well with anybody. Since I ride a recumbent, I tell people I belong to an outlaw bicycle club, and this is my "chopper".

Anonymous said...

"Some time this week, I'm going to try to get my bike back, and try to modify the seat a bit to improve the comfort factor"

How about installing an ejector seat?

Of course, that doesn't work so well if you need to use it under a bridge or in a tunnel.

Anonymous said...

Now that is worthy. Monsterous robotic spider operated by evil minions terrorizes innocent unsuspecting citizens.

Hey Bill, sorry to hear about the abrupt stop under the bridge. I'm glad to hear you live to suffer on. Add my blog to your 'local' list. http://howcouldyoubesostupid.com