Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bike to Work

Got back from the Doc today from an evaluation of how I'm reacting to the concussion. The answer is; pretty well. I'll be back to work part-time next week, and full-time at some point a bit further down the line.

Imagine that your brain is your own central server, with cables running out to control everything you are, everything you know, and everything you do. Now imagine that some random number of those cables are, if not disconnected, loosened up and not connecting 100% any more.

This can be fixed over some period of time, but it won't be easy, and it won't be real quick, either. Your brain is aware of the faulty cables, and would like to fix them, and would like you to help. What it doesn't recognize is that some percentage of those cable are obsolete and haven't been used sometimes in a good long time. Your job is to help out by informing the brain that some of this stuff can be transferred to the recycle bin, and then ignored. Tedious, but necessary, and in the end, helpful.

I now have a Giro XON bike helmet which they claim is a off-road racing lid. It kind of looks like it was made from the top of someones skull who was killed and eaten by a saber-tooth tiger while out exploring one of those canyons of mystery that turns out to be populated by dinosaurs, pterodactyls, and hotties in rabbit-fur bikinis. Hope springs eternal, no?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how I missed that you're here in CO.

Anyways, I bike to work every day. Uh, out of necessity, but I find I enjoy it at least some of the time, plus I'm losing weight. So I'm curious which bike path you biffed on. I ride the Platte River trail, and don't find anyplace that seems like an accident waiting to happen. I'm imagining the underpasses being icy in winter, but I expect to be taking the bus.

Billll said...

The Platte trail is one of my favorites for recreational riding and has few inherent hazards.
There is a yet-un-named trail that goes East into Englewood thru a dog park, Pirates Cove water park, Progress Park and Belleview Park. Where the trail passes under Belleview St, there is a sharp bend with limited visibility from either direction.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-Ue9Kgk37zk0sodSHhour

That's the route I use, unfortunately. 10 seconds sooner or later, and nothing would have happened.

Billll said...

There's a bridge just south of Union St by the trash company, that will take you east into the parks in question.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I've ridden that. I know exactly where you're talking about. I took that part quite slow, the time I went further S. than Belleview.

Anyway, sucks about the concussion. Sounds like, after the initial scary part, you're coming through okay.

Zombyboy said...

I'm glad you ended up okay. I'm also re-thinking my position on wearing a helmet when I ride...

Billll said...

Helmets can be had from about $30 and up. Yes, there are some cheaper, but you probably don't want to advertise the shortness of the bus you ride all that much.

A $30 helmet can save you $20,000 and up in hospital bills. Most of the time it'll be just dings and scrapes, but concussions are big buck items. Sure, it took 50 years for my luck to run out, but you probably will live that long in spite of what your friends tell you.

There are worse drags than getting old.

Railgap said...

This is excellent news.

Anonymous said...

How can I not wear a helmet in the future? Every time I see a helmet from now on I will see a fur bikini clad vixen. Now that is motivation...