Saturday, August 2, 2008

Politics as usual

There were several bills of some significance on the House floor last week: One would have permitted oil drilling in the far offshore. One would have returned gun rights to the besieged residents of DC. I seem to remember some others, but the details escape me just now. I'll edit this post as I am reminded of them, or my readers (all three of you) can put them in the comments.

When issues raised their ugly heads,
the Democrats turned their tails and fled.

The ban on offshore drilling expires Sept 30 all by itself, unless congress votes to extent it. I expect the ban extension will be attached to a bill to provide medical care to wounded troops or some such.
There is a saying that generals are always prepared to fight the next war with the weapons and tactics of the last one. The last time the Dems elected a president-for-life, there was a great depression going on, and the presidents term was greatly extended by his efforts in extending it. To repeat the feat, all we need is $8/gallon gas, and high tariffs against our foreign trading partners, and sure enough, that's the party platform. I'm amazed that anyone votes for them.

No comments: