Monday, August 25, 2008

Bike To Work

“I am not ded.” (Terry Pratchett reference)

A few weeks ago I found myself in a position to ride a bicycle to work. This seemed like a swell idea as there was no gasoline involved and minimal exposure to highway traffic.

At this point I am beginning to wonder. Last Monday on my way home from work while passing under a roadway, at a spot with very poor visibility, I got to the underpass, and spotted a kid who was going as fast as I was. The next thing I remember seeing was the red light from the CT scan machine.

It appears the bend in the trail lacks the visibility to avoid collisions. Normally there is not enough traffic there to matter but sooner or later somebody will meet you there.

Two days in Intensive Care – only annoying the nurses a little bit. Followed by two days in Multi Trauma I have a collection of dings and bangs that would impress a middle-weight boxer.

Amazingly enough the bruises, not withstanding their size, don’t hurt that much. Probably because of the sub-arachnoid bleed on the right side of my brain and the inch and a half long trauma to my left temporal lobe. This apparently causes the brain to not recognize the other injuries or to only recognize about 30% of it.

I’m dictating to D’Wife as I am not yet capable of writing this sort of thing myself.

I will be unable to attend the Rocky Mountain Blogger Bash on Thursday because Life is a Bitch and D’Wife is in charge of it ‘cause I sure can’t be. I’m on anti-seizure meds for several more days and limited to short periods of human interactions.

For some as yet undetermined time I cannot climb stairs or ladders, drink alcohol, drive a car or motorcycle, or ride a bike. I cannot operate machinery of any sort and I am to avoid loud noises and dangerous situations that may cause stress or another injury.

Above all I must avoid falling down or hitting my head again in any way as it could get terminal.

Life may be real dull for the next 3 – 6 months.

“Life can be long and dull or short and merry.” (Conan the Barbarian reference)

Looks like I’m stuck with 3-6 months of long and dull. I will be writing as I expect my writing ability will return rapidly and I have plenty to say.

People are doing stupid things that need to be commented on. So I haven’t abandoned anybody in the next few days I will get more comments down.

7 comments:

Roberta X said...

Oh, brother! My heart goes out to you; I've taken nasty spills on a bicycle (and worse on a scooter) but never anything like that.

Just bear with it, do what the docs say to do no matter how goofy it sounds, and be careful 'til they say you can do more.

Anonymous said...

Long and dull isn't so bad, compared to the alternative. You're already too old to die young and leave a beautiful corpse. :-)

I'm glad you're getting better and still sounding feisty. Take care of yourself, and best wishes.

I'm just sorry you won't be at the Blogger Bash. But,hey -- can I have your two free drinks? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Got here via Tam.

Good Lord, Man! I'd hate to see what the other guy looks like :)

Glad you're still with us.

Jody Reale said...

Oh my. At least you have a really good excuse to read trashy novels and make calls to telephone psychics. Well, that's what I would do anyway. Thinking of you. Speedy recovery.

NotClauswitz said...

Holy Crap! I hope you get fully well most expeditiously and it's too bad to miss the bloggers but there will be another time.

Billll said...

Rich:
You may have a good point there.
"When 900 years old you are, fart like this you will" (Yoda reference)

As to my drinks, I'd say you folks could have a hoop shooting contest with wadded up napkins or something, unless someone shows up with one of those Obama 08 hats I posted.

Orange:
Yeah, I'd like to see the other fellow too, although afterwards he might be somewhat less recognizable.

Anonymous said...

Hoop shooting contest?? But if we do that, I'll be SOL!

Anyway, we'll raise a glass to you.