Sunday, May 18, 2008

CZ vz82 vs. Rossi .357

Just finished a postal match over at Armes et tir passion, using both my regular 6" Rossi .357 and my new (to me) CZ 82. The results rather surprised me. The Rossi is a known quantity, and I've been shooting it in informal competitions for several years now. The CZ is my first centerfire semiauto and I'm still getting used to it.


Disregarding the flier on the center target, the Rossi delivered an average score of 7.75/shot, while the 4" CZ on the left, delivers 8.4.

The second target is a single bowling pin image. Bullseye is the triangle on the bottom half of the pin.
At the rather modest distances I was shooting at, the point of aim for the Rossi was about 1/2" above the bottom center of the pin, and for the CZ it was the lower RH corner of the dark stripe around the pin neck. The Rossi delivered a 2.75" group, and the CZ came in at 3.4".




















All things considered, including the fact that this was not one of my better days at the range, the little CZ is proving to be quite good.

NOTE: In case you're not familiar with pin shooting, a real pin shoot features real pins on a table with some depth to it, so that if you don't get a good square hit, the pin falls over and rolls to a position that presents the smallest possible area and worst angle to the shooter, and your time runs until you clear the table. I would not recommend the CZ for pin shooting as it's a bit underpowered for this kind of work, but for paper pins, it works fine.

No comments: