Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gun Goodies II

Got out to the range and tried the new (to me) CZ 82. I found the trigger to be predictable and reasonably light. The amount of creep before firing is a new experience to me as my other autos are single action and have very short triggers. That said, I was able to put 12 rounds into one ragged hole about 1 in wide and 2 in high at 10 yards. I'm going to stick my neck out here and speculate that the 1 in is more the gun, and the 2 inch is probably me.
The magazine spring is a bear to depress, and I had a great deal of difficulty filling it.
There are 3 holes in the back of the magazines so you can get an idea how many rounds you have left.
The model 82 is a blowback operated gun, and pitches the spent brass up to 30 feet. The direction is approximately 15-30 degrees aft of due right. Some kind of shellcatcher would be a nice addition for routine target practice, otherwise you're going to lose your reloadable brass.

9x18 ammo is shorter and fatter than the more common 9x19 parabellum, and the reloadable stuff goes for around $.25/round. If you reload, this comes down to $.095/round, and 9x19 brass, picked up at the range, can be turned into 9x18 without too much trouble.
The case is trimmed to the correct length, and a special tapered inside sizing die is used to open the case up the .008" dia required. After that, reloading follows the usual steps. A word of warning: Made-from brass should be marked with permanent marker or steel dye so it won't get confused with unmodified 9x19, as the headstamp will not be changed.
My reloading dies are on back order. When they get in, I'll have even more to report. I was using S&B reloadable brass with 95gr FMJ bullets. I completely spaced out setting up my chrony but I'll try to remember that next time. Typical reported performance is 950-1100 fps, depending on load.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ammoman.com is a good source.

Currently $0.19 - $0.22 per round for 9x18mm (made in Russia, non-reloadable, shipping is already included in the price).

Billll said...

I saw some Russian ammo at the last gun show running $8-15 a box. For the lack of effort, the cheap stuff might make good outdoor ammo. The indoor range doesn't like non-brass ammo.