Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Day at the Range

Went out yesterday to shoot the postal match, and see if I could still hold everything steady, with mixed results.

Imagine a great day, 72 degrees, light overcast, no wind, and 4 hours with nobody else there except the hawks. Shoot at my own pace, walk up to check targets when I need to, move the backstop to suit the situation. This match can be shot with anything, in any position, and there's a bonus: base distance is 10 yards, but at 20, you double your score. At 30 you triple it. There was some discussion regarding shooting this with a Barret .50 at 1000 yards, as one bulls eye would be worth 1000 points.

I did the pistols at 10, and had planned to do the rifles at 100. The .22 had a reputation for not holding the scope securely, but I figured for 10 shots, it should work. I got the sights straight at 30 yards, shot one target to confirm this, and went to repeat the feat at 100. The rifle went on strike, refusing to fire when I pulled the trigger. Not even a click. So I'm submitting a 30 yard target.

I need more practice with the .357. Comparatively speaking, I was all over the place.

The varmint rifle is a tack driver. If I hadn't been so worn out toward the end, I think I might have tried this at 200 yards.

The CZ is not ready for prime time. Oh well, maybe later.

Postal match results will be posted at Traction Control shortly after 2 November.

No comments: