Monday, April 5, 2010

Elections

Zomby has a nice piece on the current political climate over at Resurrection Song. I was going to comment, but his server isn't speaking to anyone. Or maybe it's just me.

The situation is getting so strange I'm almost afraid to look. The Dems have a widely hated candidate with the union seniority to demand another shot on the ticket. They also have a "lite" version of him, with pretty much the same platform and qualifications. Also their vote-fraud machine has taken some hits. Looks great for the Republicans, right?

But wait! The traditional Republican strategy is to select some colorless party apparatchik, barely distinguishable from a Democrat, who inspires the base to simply stay home, hoping that next time they'll nominate a conservative. They have Mitt Romney, for example, all primed and ready to go, probably willing to take a conservative as his running mate, as did McCain.

The current situation is close to bad enough that Arlen Specter could probably get elected president if he changed his party back to Republican, and had a conservative running mate. Still, what did we do to deserve this?

It's caucus season, and this is where you show up and demand real candidates. If you are a Republican, demand a real conservative who isn't afraid to say so. If you are a Democrat, demand a real Communist who isn't afraid to say so. Bring a friend to vote. Bring 2 or 3, or if you live in Cook county, keep coming back till the polls close.

If you don't vote, you can't bitch.

1 comment:

Zombyboy said...

I've been getting comments on other posts, so it might be you. But, then, one of the other regular Rocky Mountain Blog types told me he's been having problems, too.

I might clean out my banned IP address list and see if that helps. I'm terrified that it will open me up to a virtual flood of spam, but I hate hearing that people can't comment on the site.

Except for spammers. But spammers aren't really people, anyway.